Thursday, October 28, 2010

Nebraska Furniture Mart

I have been quoted in the past saying "I hope Nebraska Furniture Mart dies". I have slight hope for them, however, they still need vast improvement. I feel like living in Omaha, you really have no other choice but to buy your furniture from here. That being said, my husband and I ordered a bed from NFM in June of this year. It was a direct ship item. We were told it'd take no more than 2 weeks to arrive to our home! Yay, right? No! It is less than a week from November and our mattress is still lying on the floor or our new bedroom. There have been months (and months) of no calls, me finally calling to find out where it is, and being told that once again it has been delayed. After several complaints to management, we were offered a discount on our bed. The bed, costing approximately $750, has been discounted by $100. With a new ETA date of 11/12 (cross your fingers!!!) $100 is nice, but it is only a discount of 13.3%.... oh, and I've been paying interest on this... I'm just not sure that this is right.

Pick out a new bed you say? Well, we've looked everywhere for one similar. Closest find was a bed on sale at Bloomingdales.com for $5,000!!!!!! So I will wait one more month (might as well at this point) for our bed to arrive.

In the meantime, this has all taken place within the month of October, we have been purchasing other pieces of furniture to complete our home... Here's what's unfolded. We purchased a foyer table. Once I completed putting this together (and yes I do mean I... if you know my husband, you know this is true) I noticed a chip in the wood on the top corner. We had to load up the finished piece, drive it back down to Warehouse #1 and pick up a new boxed up foyer table. After putting this table together for a second time, this foyer table is without flaws and looks great!

Then decided on new dining chairs! Found a great deal on new chairs over at Mrs. B's! A special thanks to my dad who picked these up for me and helped me put together. But again, there was a hiccup.... One of the six chairs screws didn't line up. So again, I had to call up NFM to get an exchange number (while waiting on hold), load up a completed chair, head back down to Warehouse #1, and get a new chair in a box.

Then to the sofa table...... oh wow. The first one we decided on, took my husband, my father, and I all to put this together. We get it completed, and what do we find?? A chunk of wood missing out of the front! So again, you know the routine. We did though decide on a new sofa table. But I'll give you one guess as to what happened with that.....You guessed it! I went to put it together last night. The entire side of the table top is cracked and coming apart. 

With NFM on my speed dial now, literally I made the call. While waiting on hold I went back and forth on whether or not I wanted to go Ari Gold on them, or play it nice. I decided, to my husbands surprise, to play nice. I requested that they come and pick up the piece themselves and deliver me a new one. Which they agreed to!!! And then for my inconvenience, he is sending me a $25 gift card in the mail!

This was the first positive outcome I have had with NFM all month! But when I hung up the phone I was actually satisfied with the outcome. But please note.... come 11/12 when my bed is suppose to be delivered to my door, if it doesn't show up, you will see a very different Maija!

2 comments:

  1. OMG ~ Nebraska Furniture Mart is still 'live and kickin" after all these years??? I bought furniture from them 35 yrs. ago - Hilarious!! (In case ur trying to figure out who this is, it's Aunt Nancy :)) My "other" persona) :)) Good luck with your Blog ~ I love the name!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I did figure it out, but I also did just read this... oops :) Yeah and NFM has taken over!!

    ReplyDelete